Initial 1 year full-time contract with option to extend
Targeted protein degradation is an exciting new modality to bring new treatment paradigms to patients. We have an exciting opportunity for a talented scientist to join Discovery Sciences on a one-year contract in the first instance as a lab-based scientist and be a key member of a team producing proteins to elucidate mechanisms of targeted protein degradation and to work with novel E3 ligases, with a significant focus on hit finding and drug discovery.
The Protein Science team, within the Discovery Biology Department of Discovery Sciences, is responsible for the generation of validated protein reagents to support projects in all phases of the drug discovery pipeline.
There is an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated scientist to join the group. The successful individual will be a key member of the department, generating vital proteins to support drug discovery projects in the targeted degradation area.
To be lab-based, propose experimental strategies, troubleshoot problems and to make a significant contribution to the practical delivery of projects in accordance with SHE requirements and in compliance with all Corporate responsibility policies. The following skills are highly desirable:
• Experience in the purification of proteins (including antibodies) for target validation, screening and/or structure.
• Understanding of a range of expression systems including in vitro translation, bacterial (E.coli) expression, yeast (Pichia pastoris), baculovirus, mammalian transient and stable expression systems
• Experience in the biochemical, physicochemical and functional characterisation of proteins
• Optional experience in large scale production of proteins, including endotoxin free proteins and/or production of modified or labelled proteins
PLEASE INCLUDE THESE 4 POINTS IN APPLICATION IF APPLICABLE.
• To execute experimental procedures according to study plan as agreed with the team leader or other supervisor.
• To contribute to the interpretation of experimental data and play a significant role in the planning of further experiments.
• To be an effective team member in supporting Discovery Projects to meet their objectives
• To maintain an awareness of current developments in the literature and to make effective use of appropriate literature search tools.
• To identify and solve problems associated with their experiments and discuss with other team members.
• To learn and apply new methods and show self-awareness regarding technical training needs.
• To be responsible for and ensure that the results of their experiments are recorded accurately and to a high standard in accordance with current guidelines.
• To gain and understand, if appropriate for the discipline, an intellectual property strategy for the project.
• To possess a range of practical skills and demonstrate flexibility within and across teams.
• To contribute to, and when required, engage in continuous improvement processes as identified
• To effectively communicate results to other members of the project, team, section or to other Departments as required.
Minimum Requirements - Education and Experience
Ideally should have a B.Sc., M.Sc. degree or Ph.D. in relevant subjects, or equivalent level of understanding developed through experience in drug discovery or early development.
Have an understanding of pre-clinical drug discovery and how it contributes to and should influence projects. Have an understanding of how different drug discovery disciplines contribute to and work together within a project.
The impact of the Role will be within functional project teams.
Delivery of data to a high standard of quality and efficiency & ensure that the performance of test systems stay within acceptable limits over time.
* This is a Lab based role - which involves no remote working
* ideally looking for someone with a PHd, or someone from Academia that wants to move into the industry