Initial 1 year full-time contract with option to extend
Mass Spectrometry Scientist
The position is within the Biomolecular Characterisation Sciences team. The team is comprised of 20 experienced scientists, 10 with PhDs.
The team focus incorporates comprehensive detailed characterisation of proteins to elucidate their structure, function and degradation pathways as well as understanding protein production processes. This necessitates employing techniques such as HPLC (reversed phase, ion exchange, affinity and size exclusion), electrophoresis (gel and capillary based), spectroscopy (CD, FTIR), SPR (BIAcore) as well as mass spectrometry (Thermo Q-Exactive Plus, Thermo Biopharma Q-Exactive Plus, Waters Synapt G2 with ESI/MALDI source, HDX (Leap) with a Waters Synapt G2Si and Agilent Q-ToF 6510 with chip cube etc).
In particular for this role we are seeking a scientist with experience in mass spectrometry who is interested in supporting characterisation work packages and investigations.
This is an ideal opportunity for an enthusiastic scientist to develop skills and experience in the biopharmaceutical sector. It will provide the occasion to learn several bio-analytical assay techniques, and to develop and implement assays for new protein and biochemical analysis to support the development of novel protein therapeutics.
It will also provide opportunities to: tackle complex scientific problems; communicate technical analytical issues and results to other group members and project teams; learn about industrial and regulatory guidelines; tackle scientific problems and instrument troubleshooting; and apply the latest technologies to protein characterisation.
The group collaborates with teams and projects across sites in the UK, Belgium, Switzerland and the US. The group also has academic collaborations.
The characterisation group works closely with Method Development, Quality Control, Process and Formulation groups. Thus methods should be developed to a high standard with ICH guidelines considered for development, qualification and validation.
In addition to these technical skills, you must have a genuine enthusiasm for scientific research, good communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team.
• Perform analysis of protein therapeutics using mass spectrometric techniques
• Using HPLC and electrophoresis if necessary
• Keep accurate records and contribute to authorship of analytical aspects of regulatory submissions, technical procedures, protocols and reports
• Communication of technical analytical issues to senior analytical management
• Tackle scientific problems
• Assay and instrument troubleshooting
• Research specific analytical protocols (literature) and keep aware of latest analytical techniques
• Ensure lab equipment is properly maintained and functioning properly; initiate appropriate repair and maintenance
• Ensure appropriate lab material and consumables availability
Bachelor degree plus c.1-3 years laboratory experience (academic or industrial) using mass spectrometry
- Proven track record of mass spectrometric usage
- Implementation of new innovative techniques and technologies
- Excellent knowledge of protein chemistry
- Oral and written communication
- Interpersonal relationship
- Publishing scientific papers